Back-to-School: Use AAO Tools for School Outreach, Presentations
Free and low-cost AAO educational items that are useful for orthodontic offices during back-to-school season are outlined below. Log-in will be required to access the fliers and presentations linked below because they are available exclusively to AAO members:
♦ Outreach to school nurses, coaches and parents: Materials include:
– The AAO flier for coaches and parents: Dental Trauma: Prevent Accidents But Know What to Do if One Occurs;
– PowerPoint presentation, “Handling Orthodontic Emergencies in the School Clinic.”
(Scroll down the page to view the presentation.)
– The AAO flier for school nurses, “Beware of Do-it-Yourself Orthodontics” (alerts the school nurse to signs that a student may be attempting DIY orthodontics).
♦ Additional prepared presentations for lay audiences:
– The Career Day PowerPoint presentation explores orthodontic education and careers and has an accompanying script;
– The “Your Smile” presentation is ideal for lay adult audiences at school or community meetings and has an accompanying script;
– The “Healthy Smiles” PowerPoint presentation is available via CD-ROM with an accompanying script – or as a produced video that can be played for the audience. Intended for students in grades 3-8, the presentation is an introduction to orthodontics: How one becomes an orthodontist, what orthodontists do, the kinds of conditions treated, patient responsibility during treatment, what it’s like to visit an orthodontist, parts of braces, and some before/after images. “Healthy Smiles” is available for purchase at the AAO Store for $24.95 for either format. Visit the aaoinfo.org home page; click on Store at the upper right of the page; then, click on CD-ROM/DVDs.
Customize Leave-Behinds with Your Practice Information
The aaoinfo.org pages linked above list and link to recommended leave-behind materials for each presentation.* You may add your name and contact information to each item used as a leave-behind. Before customizing, first please review usage guidelines for customizing items for your practice: the AAO Logo Standards Manual and Guidelines for AAO Members' Use of Marketing and Communications Materials by Constituents, Components, Groups or Members.
Access Customization and Usage Guidelines
* Recommended materials for the "Your Smile" presentation (the "Problems to Watch for in Growing Children" flier and the "Your Child’s First Orthodontic Check-up" brochure) are also available in Spanish.